Hey there everyone…..I’ve got another new recipe today! I really hope you all are enjoying my recipes. Now this was originally going to be bang bang chicken, but I couldn’t find the right ingredients to make a chili sauce, so I took a sweet and sour sauce and combined it with some spice and it made a very nice sweet and spicy sauce. The rice ( I used white this time but will try with brown next time), now that was something new I had wanted to try and I honestly did not know how it was going to turn out ( I honestly didn’t know how all of it would turn out)…….well it was far better than expected……so good that my husband ate 3rds!
This will take a bit of time to make to make, but is very well worth it. This recipe makes enough for 2-4 people and can be easily doubled and modified for anyone’s liking. So let us get started.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 egg + 1-2 Tbsp water (egg wash)
- 1-2 Tbsp + 1/2 cup chili sauce (or hot sauce………or in my case sweet and sour sauce & hot sauce mixed together)
- 2 Tbsp butter (margarine)
- 1 cup white rice ( or however much rice you will need)
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 3-5 cups water (will be splitting up)
- 1 cup chicken broth (or beef)
- Olive Oil (or any oil to fry in)
- 3-4 Tsp red pepper flakes (or cayenne)
- 1-2 Tsp ground ginger
- 1-2 Tsp cumin
- 1-2 Tsp turmeric
- 1-2 Tsp garlic powder
- 1-3 cloves fresh garlic, diced
- 1-2 Tsp onion powder
- 1-2 Tsp salt
- 1-2 Tsp pepper
- The first thing you are going to do is take your egg and 1-2 Tbsp water plus the 1-2 Tbsp chili sauce (or hot sauce) and whisk together in a bowl to make your egg wash. Next measure out the cornstarch, flour and the spices and mix together in another bowl.
- Cut the chicken breasts into cube pieces. Once that is cut place the chicken pieces into the egg wash and let them sit while you prepare the rice.
- In a small pot take the 2 Tbsp butter and melt it down, next add the FRESH diced garlic, let that heat up for about 2 minutes. Next add 1 cup rice. Sautee the rice for about 3 minutes or until it starts to get a bit golden. Once it is golden-ish, add the 1 cup broth and let that simmer until the rice is tender ( you probably will have to add water as you simmer, I added about 1 1/2 – 2 cups until my rice reached the desired tenderness). Now don’t forget about the rice while you do everything else, just be sure to keep checking on it, stirring it, and adding as much liquid as you need until done.
- Heat your oil in a skillet (or fryer)
- Take the dry ingredients mixture and add about 1 cup water (you may need more), whisk together until all is mixed up and smooth. You will want a semi-thick consistency (making a fry batter). Take the chicken out of the egg wash and put into the batter. Let sit while your oil heats up (or about 7 minutes). Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Once your oil is hot enough to start frying, give the chicken that has been sitting in batter a good mix up and take some pieces and place in the oil. Fry until golden brown ( I do mine on the stove in a skillet, so I flip till each side is golden brown about 5-7 minutes each side). Place on plate with paper towel to drain oil off.
- While you are frying your chicken, you can take the chili sauce (mor hot sauce) and put into a bowl, add some red pepper flakes (or cayenne) and a little bit of ginger. Mix up.
- Once the chicken is all fried up, toss it in the bowl with the chili sauce and mix it around till each piece is nice and glazed. Throw them onto a baking sheet ( I use tin foil on mine for easy clean-up) and place that into the oven for about 10 minutes or until the sauce thickens and darkens up. Now at this point the rice should be done and cooling.
Take the chicken out of the oven and all is done! Dish up your garlic ginger rice and sweet and spicy chicken and enjoy!
Please let me know what you thought about this one guys! Thanks for reading